VAR in UEFA Champions League : it’s going to happen in the 2018-2019 season. The UEFA Executive Committee decided to use Video Assistant Referees (VAR) in the UEFA Champions League as from the round of 16 in February 2019. Because recent tests during the previous months were successful and referees have done training.
VAR also in Europa League and Nations League finals
In addition, the committee decided to also use VAR at the UEFA Europa League Final 2019, in the UEFA Nations Leagues Finals 2019 and in the final tournament of the UEFA European Under-21 Championship 2019. That’s what Uefa published in a statement.
“We are ready to use VAR earlier than initially planned”, says Uefa President Aleksander Čeferin. “And we are convinced that it will be beneficial for our competitions as it will provide valuable help to match officials and will allow to reduce incorrect decisions.”
All tournaments with VAR
- 2018-2019 CL knock-out
- 2019-2020 Champions League
- 2018-2019 UEFA Nations League Finals – Portugal – 5 to 9 June 2019
- UEFA Women’s EURO 2021 – England – July 2021
- 2019-2021 UEFA Under-21 Championship final tournament – Hungary/Slovenia – June 2021
- 2018-2019 UEFA Futsal Champions League finals – Kairat Almaty, Kazakhstan – 25 to 28 April 2019
VAR in action
Dutch referee Björn Kuipers changed a yellow card decision into a red card, because VAR intervened. Curious how that goes? Check out the communication between referee and VAR.