Björn Kuipers retires as referee. That is what KNVB has confirmed. He’ll finish his career with officiating the Johan Cruijff Schaal, the Dutch Super Cup game between Ajax and PSV.
After landing on Amsterdam airport after Euro 2020 Björn Kuipers still had doubts about continuing, but during his holidays he made the decision. “After the Euro final I got a lot of positive reactions and appreciation from all over the world”, he says to KNVB, the Dutch FA. It made him doubt. “Moreover, I am still fit and have a lot of fun.” But on vacation he made the decision. “I realised I’ve been everywhere and experienced everything. I will not get more beautiful. There’s no better moment to stop”
This means Björn Kuipers retires in the Amsterdam Arena and officiates his last game on the 7th of August.
Want to know how Björn Kuipers reached the top? Read my profile “From whining player to top class referee”.
Share your thoughts retirement of Björn Kuipers
Please share your thoughts on the retirement of Björn Kuipers via comments below or on Instagram.
I’ve also made lots of stories with tips from Björn Kuipers over the years. check them out below.
- You show your real qualities when the coach is not watching
- Don’t judge your AR’s on first impression
- Deal with troublemakers immediately
- Take maximum control as referee
- Always communicate as refereeing team
- Challenge yourself at different levels
- Big referee appointment doesn’t mean you’re there yet
- Trust your team members as referee