Twitter exploded today after Howard Webb announced his new job as Technical Director. Here are 9 interesteing and inspiring quotes on Howard Webb’s retirement.
1. Howard Webb inspired many referes in England, as Pillaton-Referee tweets:
— Pillaton-Referee (@failedheart) August 6, 2014
2. Also Sarah Grundy found Howard Webb inspiring for her as referee.
— Sarah Grundy (@GrundySarah) August 6, 2014
3. Howard got support from players in English professional football, for example from goal Kasper Schmeichel.
Congratulations to Howard Webb on a great career, wish him all the best. Honestly the best ref i've had in my career.
— Kasper schmeichel (@kschmeichel1) August 6, 2014
4. According to Massimo Busacca, Fifa’s referee boss, it was a “sad and special” day.
“Without passion and natural quality you can not reach the highest level. Howard was always a great example for every young referee. I am sure he will be able to transmit his knowledge and experience to many referees in England and around the world in his new role. My advice to him? Be like you were on the pitch.”
5. A great ambassador for the young referees, says Gayle Hope. That’s also why he went to Belgium and talk with young refs there.
Congratulations to Howard Webb on his new role as Technical director for the PGMOL. Wonderful ambassador & role model for young referees.
— Gayle Hope (@bmb_afcb) August 6, 2014
6. FA’s Chairman Greg Dyke reminds a great story that explains Howard Webb’s character.
“One of the best images of last year was when Howard turned up at a Durham FA event in memory of Sir Bobby Robson. He had a rare Saturday off but still spent a couple of hours meeting hundreds of youngsters. He even agreed to referee an Under-7s match. What an experience for those kids to remember for the rest of their lives – to be inspired by someone who has reached the very pinnacle of their field.
7. Howard has to add something too:
“Refereeing has given me so much and it’s important that match officials who have had the rewards remain in the game to pass on their knowledge. I also have much more to learn about the business of refereeing and the best place for me to do that is with PGMOL. It’s an incredibly positive working environment and we all have a common goal of improving refereeing.”
Have a good time as technical director, Howard Webb. England’s Premier League will miss you next season(s). Congrats on such a great career!