The anticipation is building among referees about who will go to the World Cup, says Massimo Busacca, Fifa’s Head of Refereeing in the new magazine Fifa Weekly.
Fifa confirmed to Arbitro Internacional that the referee committee will have a meeting on 14th and 15th of January to select the WC referees.
But what qualities do these referees need to have according the international referee boss to become a candidate for the world cup in Brazil? This are 5 key factors to become a top referee – things every referee should work on – 5 qualities World Cup referees shoul have:
- Impeccable performances and the fullest concentration in the matches in the period before the World Cup.
- Consistency. Be able to make decisions based on uniform and consistent criteria.
- Fast decision-making. Be able to make correct calls in a split-second
- Understanding different footballing cultures and mentalities. That means: watching and re-watching videos and writing down the differences.
- Good positioning to see exactly what has taken place.
Read the full magazine below or open it in a new tab via this link.