This page explainse the procedures and requires of the Repeated Sprint Ability Test for assistnat referees. Center referees have to do a similar test, but the sprints are a bit longer. For their requirements check the Fifa fitness test for (center) referees.
- The ‘start’ gate should be placed at 0m and the ‘finish’ gate at 30m. The ‘start line’ should be marked out 1.5m before the ‘start’ gate.
- Assistant referees should line up at the start with their front foot touching the ‘start line’. Once the test leader signals that the electronic timing gates are set, the assistant referee is free to start.
- Assistant referees should receive a maximum of 30 seconds recovery between each of the 5 X 30m sprints. During their recovery, assistant referees must walk back to the start.
- If an assistant referee fails one trial out of the five, they should be given a sixth trial immediately after
the fifth trial. If they fail two trials out of six, the match official has failed the test.
Reference times for men assistant referees
- International and category 1: must complete each trial in a maximum 4.70 seconds per trial
- Category 2: must complete each trial in a maximum 4.80 seconds per trial
- Lower categories: must complete each trial in a maximum of 4.90 seconds per trial
Reference times for women assistant referees
- International and category 1: must complete each trial in a maximum 5.10 seconds per trial
- Category 2: must complete each trial in a maximum 5.20 seconds per trial
- Lower categories: must complete each trial in a maximum 5.30 seconds per trial
Test 1: CODA-test
The first part of the Fifa fitness test for assistant referees is the Change of Direction Ability (CODA) fitness test. This test is introduced in 2016 and the goal is to assess the assistant referee’s ability to change direction.
Test 3: Interval Run Test
Assistant referees must complete 40 x 75m run / 25m walk intervals. This equates to 4,000m or 10 laps of a 400m athletics track. It's easier to train for this test when you get notified when your run needs to be ready in time.